Please share your thoughts on the PASS elections process

From Log Hut to the White House

I feel, it is extremely important for benefit of the organization that the nomination follow like our National Election Process. For example, I knew absolutely nobody who stood up for elections last year. Of course it was fun meeting almost all of them at the Board Q&A at Seattle Conference. But I would really like to see us divided by regions or even chapters like Boston(as in my case). Say we have 50 chapters, let each chapter nominate one person. How they can do it locally is something we can discuss in another forum.
Then, if we have less than required candidates, they are automatically selected. If they are more, then we use "Points" system to evaluate their eligibility. Points could be given to various aspects of their careers like MVP, other leadership experiences, other volunteering tasks, are these folks themselves doing well in the company? (get a letter from their supervisors...if employed, if self employed, get a letter from their customer).

Observe them on Social Media, how well connected are they. I believe Twitter being a fairly uni-lateral blogging is not a great indicator. But Facebook, Linked in, Google Plus etc.

Further, have they helped PASS at the central level. For example, if I volunteered to be in an X committee or a Y role during one of the major events, they would all carry points.

I would also like to see "Ideas based board membership". These folks would be imbibed in the board if they have a specific ideas that are worth pursuing to fruition. Example: Developing a list for blacklisting employers who make financial commitments and then backout, employers who discriminate based on color/race/ethnicity/GLBT, or a list of Recruiters who will call a SQL Developer when they need a Java Developer, just because they have word "Develoer" in their resume.
Another project for such a person would be to define "Points System" for each of our members. and so on.

So I believe that real community service starts at grass roots level and hence nomination process for candidates should come from regions/cities/chapters.....

3 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Paresh MotiwalaParesh Motiwala shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1 comment

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • JRJJRJ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello Paresh, I just wanted to say thank you for this feedback. My apologies this is so late. In the upcoming election we do have specifically assigned regional seats. Nothing quite as local as you describe though. However, I encourage you to take a look at the global growth initiatives as it is a key component of that strategy. I am personally not a fan of using someone's popularity in social media circles as measurement as that doesn't really align well to the requirements for candidates serving on the board. However, I do see many opportunities for PASS to better leverage it's many volunteers. Thanks again for taking the time to post your feedback, JRJ

Feedback and Knowledge Base