Please share your thoughts on the PASS elections process

Do away with the nom com elections

It would seem we could allow members to nominate themselves for the nom com and then allow those who recieved the outstanding volunteer award in the last 12 months to select the 3 nomcom members

2 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Karen LopezKaren Lopez commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Mostly Nom Coms get appointed by the president and ratified by the board (just like other committees). Typically the Past President is the chair and other members are a mix of people with governance experience or past board experience.

I'm guessing that most organizations have enough of a problem finding people willing to fill the role :).

But in general the problem I see with electing the Nom Com is that general referendums for organizations like PASS is that it is really more of a popularity vote based on (mostly) social media presence - blog, twitter, etc.

The Nom Com's job should be to assess candidates for fit to the Bylaw requirements. Popularity shouldn't be a criteria.

So, to me, electing the committee is like electing a webmaster. It may work well. Or it might not.

You're right about governance skills. I'm on or support boards with members of all kinds of levels of governance experience. What's helped is having support staff who are highly skilled at governance and effective at mentoring board and committee members.

Also, if the executive branch follows a typical Board member > VP> Pres > Past Pres lifecycle, that helps ensure a long training path for the top leaders to get things right and to mentor new board members.

• JRJJRJ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Karen, and thanks for the feedback.

I have a couple of questions for you.

In your experience how do other communities determine their Nom Coms? I am just thinking that the PASS membership is pre-dominantly a technical community and so may not have a natural pool of governance oriented members readily available.

Who selects the representatives of the Nom Com? Is this traditionally performed by the Board of Directors or another body? Are there external groups who can get brought in?

Finally, do you think that we should offer additional training to Board members to help ensure they are successful during their term? For example you mention skills in governance but I would be the first to confess that my knowledge in this area is thin. How important is this?

Cheers, JRJ

P.S. Do you agree with Karen / Allen? If so please use your votes and leave your comments. Both are helpful in understanding the strength of the feedback.

• Karen LopezKaren Lopez commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've always thought the election of Nom Com members to be a bit...odd. Normally nominations committees are made up of people with strong governance experience. An outstanding volunteer may or may not have those skills.

So I'd want the Nom Com to be able to assess candidates based on their skills and experience in governance -- not necessarily PASS experience, as well as fit and collaboration skills.

• JRJJRJ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

That's an interesting and novel idea Allen. I've also thought a lot about the Nom Com Election / Formation and tried to think of a better alternative. This is an interesting option. How would you propose this worked?
        Something like this perhaps?
        * Call for applications (1 week)
        * Outstanding Volunteer vote (1 week)
        * Top 3 vote winners get in

This could well be a more efficient process - however wouldn't this still be an election of sorts? What could we do to try and ensure that the winners of this mini election were a balanced representation across the community? I am not convinced that an election is the right mechanism for achieving that balance - ultimately I think someone or some "body" has to be charged with making those choices. I'd love to hear more of your thoughts on how we could improve and streamline the Nom Com Formation part of the process.

Cheers, JRJ

Feedback and Knowledge Base